This was the first book I did in the Monastery. It is available on Amazon either as a Paperback or Kindle. All paperback sales go to support the monastery while the Sisters have graciously allowed Kindle sales to go to me.

Safe in Mary’s Hands

by Karen I. Staubs – Akron, Ohio

I pray the rosary daily; however, there is one particular day I will never forget. At that time, my 20-year-old daughter Jill was pregnant, in serious trouble, and about to leave town. A man she had met, and whom she hardly knew, was coaxing her to leave her family and come out to him in Nevada. This man was a gambler, and Jill’s father and I feared he would try to get her into prostitution, since it is legal out there.

I convinced her to stay with me that evening, but when I awoke the following morning, I found a note saying she was leaving. She said that she loved me very much and I was not to worry, but I panicked and called her father and all her friends. Later that evening, when Jill’s father spoke to this man, he was told that Jill was on a bus to Nevada.

Crying hysterically, I called from Ohio to my dear friend in Michigan who is also my “spiritual mother.” My friend knew the whole story of Jill. She listened, then told me, “Let me call you back.” After a little while she called and said, “I prayed about this and what comes to mind is you need to pray the rosary and consecrate Jill to Mary’s Immaculate Heart.”

I hung up the phone and picked up my rosary. I climbed into bed (by this time it was quite late) and I started saying the rosary, sobbing. I was going with very little sleep at this point and I managed to get through two decades before falling into a deep, much needed sleep.

About 3 a.m. I suddenly awoke and jumped out of bed. I reread my daughter’s letter. At the end of the letter I read these words that had not sunk into my head earlier. “Don’t worry, I’m wearing my Miraculous Medal.”

I laughed out loud, then thanked Mary. I got back into bed, finished saying my rosary, and fell asleep. The next morning I called Jill’s father, who at this point was beside himself with worry. I told him not to worry, Jill was still here in town. He said, “How do you know that?” I told him I knew in my heart. Jill’s father is not Catholic, but I told him, “I prayed about it and I have faith that she was still here.” I got ready and went to Mass, feeling full of joy.

When I returned from Mass, I called her father. His wife answered, because Jill’s father was on the cell phone talking to Jill! Jill was staying with one of her friends until her bus left that evening. Her father had only the phone number, and didn’t know the address of Jill’s friend. He was unable to convince Jill to let him pick her up and bring her home.

Eventually, my nephew, Carlo, came to the house. I managed to get Jill on the phone and Carlo convinced Jill to let him come and get her. He had guaranteed me he would have her home within 30 minutes if he could just speak to her. He made good on the guarantee!

When she came home, I asked her, “What made you not get on that first bus?”
She said, “I don’t know. I had my ticket in my hand but I just couldn’t go, so I exchanged the ticket for one for the following day.”

The time she was about to board the bus the first time, is the exact time I had begun praying the rosary. Our Mother was truly watching over this daughter of mine. Oh Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to You!!

Image of Jesus Christ