Simple Pivot to Find Happiness
I found a book today on my computer called, The Secret of Successful Failing. I was searching for a lost file and going through stuff I don’t normally see and up popped this free pdf of a book. I have no idea when I got it as it was saved way back when I was in the monastery so that would have been before 2009. I then found the book today through a Google search as a pdf download. It is for sale on Amazon for $14.95 but I’m thinking as long as it can be found online as a pdf it is available for anyone. That would be me. The Secret of Successful Failing. I did contact the author and she said it was fine to use this link you can also follow Gina on Facebook at www.facebook.com/GinaMollicone”
Some quotes from the book I marked as I read:
We have the power within us to be happy, no matter
what is happening to us.
We learned to stop reaching for the stars because
the risk of failure far outweighed the probability of success.
“God first speaks to us in whispers.” a quote in this book by Oprah Winfrey
I am reading a few pages of the above book each day to motivate me to keep working on my memoir along with a few other meditative practices (thanks Cathy) and other procrastination and resistant breaking techniques.
One practice I dug out of the archives on my computer was a worksheet that is based on Bryon Katie’s – The Work – This practice has been very helpful over the years and I keep coming back to it again and again because it helps me to get out of the ruts I dig into in my mind.
I made a list of ten things that I was thinking negatively about writing the book and that I feel are trapping me into heavy procrastination. My plan is to do a version of this exercise on each one until I get through the whole list. So far I have worked through the first four and I feel progress. Yeah.
Here are the ten things I listed.
What are my limiting beliefs about writing and publishing my memoir?
1. I won’t finish it – (Turnaround – Yes, I will if I just keep working on it. I have finished book projects in the past and I can do it again.)
2. It won’t be any good. (It doesn’t have to be good, it just needs to be done! I do not have to be in competition with any other book, author or person to write and publish this book. By finishing this project it will be GOOD for me.)
3. No one will want to read it. (That is not mine to be concerned about. My job now is to write and publish the book and move on from there.)
4. No one will buy it! (Same as above. If I am doing it only to make sales than I am putting a burden on myself that I am not in control of.)
5. I will be embarrassed with feedback about the book. (This could happen! But I have survived it in the past and I moved through it and I will take Eleanor Roosevelt’s advice and just develop a hide like an alligator!)
6. It will come across as self-promotion
7. It won’t offer any value to the reader.
8. I won’t work on it every day for six months.
9. I will let discouragement take over and quit.
10. I will be wasting my time.
11. I need a coach in order to make this book a success.
Inspirational Story of the day
Won’t Go to Confession – a story from 101 Inspirational Stories of the Power ofReconciliation – an amazing story of God speaking to a priest in the confessional.
If you would like please add “your” three gratitude moments in the comments. It’s a great way to pick up your day and it’s fun for the rest of us to read!
- Oh my goodness! They had Hydrangeas on sale for only $10 for a one gallon plant. I have been wanting to get some to replace our accidentally weeded ones by teen boys (Note to future self – don’t hire boys that don’t know a plant from a weed) Anyway I got two! Yippee!
- Planted some more lettuce – loving garden salads. I have found the perfect place to start seeds is in my bathroom. Warm, humid and best of all I can tell the minute they need watering!
- In a little bit I will be attending my first Memoir Writing Workshop on line – this is from our library so free. Excited. – Update – the workshop was nice. The writers are all struggling like me so was fun.
Puzzle Time108Encouragement80July celebration300Precious memories
More Games:| Word Maker | Mahjong |Free Words | AARP Games
Please share on Pinterest